Grading the New Canes Away Uniforms

Source: Carolina Hurricanes

Today the Carolina Hurricanes have unveiled their long-awaited update to their woefully bland away jerseys.  Of course, the gamut of opinions have flowed since the unveil.  For this article myself (HockeyNC) and Andrew (Original Caniac) will give our opinions and score the uniforms.  Let's take a look at how the jerseys fared in our eyes.

Chris (HockeyNC):

The wait for the new road jerseys has been met with the same anticipation in my eyes as when fellow Caniacs waited for Aho to sign a new deal with the team.  Current owner Tom Dundon disliked the white jerseys of the previous seasons so much he asked other teams if the Canes could play in their home reds while on the road to minimize the usage of the road whites.  Let's see what I think about them:

Pros: 
  • The jersey now resembles the home reds more closely with the hurricane flags going around the waist. 
  • It's just different!  Most fans were expecting either the regular Hurricanes logo or some stylistic similarity to the warning flags logo of the alternate jersey.  While I'm not completely sold on the CANES diagonal (see below), it's appreciated that they wanted to think outside the box.
Cons:
  • Not a huge fan of the helmet decal.  I do believe that if that was the logo for the jersey itself that I would like it better.  The decal feels out of place for me honestly.  
  • The diagonal CANES is alright, but it's not original at all.  It's classic for sure, but it just doesn't suit the uniform.  NOW, if the Canes used that C by itself as the logo for the jersey I believe that would have made the uniform pop even more!
Overall: The new uniforms are definitely an improvement.  They are good, not great, but I bet they will grow on me even more.

Grade: 7 out of 10

Andrew (Original Caniac)

Hey fellow Caniacs! It’s been a while, but I’m here to provide you with some mediocre articles about the Carolina Hurricanes. This offseason has been very eventful and we will get to everything that’s happened, but let's talk about the newly announced away jerseys:

Pros:
  •  The diagonal lettering on the away jersey adds a classic look with the unique “Canes” graphic.
  • Canes logo on the helmet (my favorite part).
  • The most reassuring part about the jersey is the warning flags are on the bottom and here to stay.
Cons:
  • My biggest complaint with the new jersey is that there is too much white. I would’ve liked to see maybe black going from the elbow to the end of the sleeve with red and white stripes.
Overall: The new away jersey, while not perfect, is definitely better than the 2013-2017 home jersey. I am sure my opinions about this uniform will change and at the end of the day it’s not about how the jersey looks but how the score looks at the end of the game.

Grade: 6.5 out of 10

Comments